Fabfilter, the Dutch company known for their state-of-the-art mixing and mastering plugins, have just updated their flagship Pro-L 2 limiter plug-in. The new incarnation has many must-have features.
Fabfilter’s original Pro-L limiter set standards. The plugin, being able to operate in M/S mode and with it’s different set of limiter algorithims, makes this plugin, next to mixing, ready for true mastering work. As the industry is moving rapidly, like with metering for instance, Fabfilter have reworked their limiter to set new standards once again.
New and improved features
- Great transparent sound combined with maximum loudness
- IMPROVED – Eight different limiting algorithms, all with their own character and purpose
- NEW – True peak limiting
- IMPROVED – Unique real-time level display with peak gain reduction labels and new innovative display modes
- IMPROVED – Up to 32x linear-phase oversampling
- IMPROVED – Highly accurate output and gain reduction metering including true peak metering
- NEW – Extensive loudness metering with support for the EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770-4 and ATSC A/85 standards
- NEW – Surround support including Dolby Atmos 7.0.2 and 7.1.2 formats with flexible surround channel linking
- NEW – Optional DC offset filter
- NEW – External side chain triggering for stem mastering
- NEW – Unity Gain option to easily listen to the effect of the current limiting at unity gain level
- NEW – Audition Limiting option to listen to the difference between the input and output signal
New limiting algorithms
FabFilter Pro-L 2 introduces four new limiting algorithms to the already excellent selection it’s predecessor offered. Modern is the new default algorithm, producing even better results than the original Transparent and Allround algorithms. Aggressive for maximum loudness — well suited for EDM or rock music. Bus, like the name implies, has been designed specifically for drums and limiting of individual tracks. The Safe mode is not maximum loudness, but to avoid distortion at all times.
True peak limiting and loudness metering
Ttrue peak limiting finally makes it extremely easy to hit a maximum true peak target. Combined with improved true peak metering and updated loudness metering compliant to EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770-4, and ATSC A/85 standards, Pro-L 2 once again offers the to-go-to plugin when it comes to limiting.
FabFilter Pro-L 2 is now available for EUR 169/USD $199. Supporting both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, RTAS, and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Pro-L 2 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at: www.fabfilter.com/shop.
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Pro-L 2 with attractive discounts by logging in to their online user account at: www.fabfilter.com/myaccount.
System requirements on Windows are either Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools, or Mac OS X 10.6 or higher with Intel processor, and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools. Both 64-bit and 32-bit hosts are supported.